Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Assignment 5 - Elana Hanen

The Condescending Wonka
The Condescending Wonka meme is a photo of actor Gene Wilder in the 1971 musical Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. The captions on the meme can be characterized as patronizing and sarcastic. The earliest known image of the creepy Wonka face was on Quickmeme with the caption “Close the door / I’ll show my my fudge packing unit” on March 2nd, 2011. Later that day it was posted on Reddit and the rapid Internet spread began.  On October 12th, 2011, The Bigster blog posted a compilation of Creepy Wonka derivatives.  Creepy Wonka macros have since spread to FunnyJunk and the Condescending Wonka macros can be found on Tumblr.  I believe that this gained so much popularity because the contrast of an innocent and timeless movie with the photo of a creepy old man making a provocative statement is definitely going to attract Internet traffic.  With its rapid spread, there are many more memes of the Wonka face with sarcastic statements such as “Oh you are an independent woman?/Tell me more while you make me a sandwhich.” 



No comments:

Post a Comment